Paying it forward! Single mother is left stunned after a stranger reaches out to buy all of her child’s school supplies – 20 years after an unknown man paid for the benefactor’s college tuition
- A single mother took to Imgur recently to share screenshots of a conversation she had with a kindhearted stranger
- The woman told the mother she wanted to pay for all of her child’s school supplies, on the condition that she would remain anonymous
- The stranger said she didn’t want anything in exchange and just asked the mother to do something nice for someone else
- A package later arrived for the single mother containing all of her child’s school supplies along with a few extras, including a new pair of shoes
- The stranger explained that 20 years ago, a man she didn’t know helped cover her education expenses after reading her name in the newspaper
A single mother was stunned when a stranger offered to purchase all of her child’s school supplies, for the sole purpose of doing something kind.
The mom took to Imgur recently to share screenshots of her conversation with the stranger, as well as a photo of the package that arrived a few days later at her work address.
In her first message, the stranger, who found the mother on an online parenting group, explained that while she’s not a single mom, several of her friends are and she knows it’s ‘hard af’.
Generous: A single mother was stunned when a stranger offered to purchase all of her child’s school supplies, for the sole purpose of doing something kind
‘So if you need / want the help, I’m looking to buy the school supplies for two single moms who need it,’ the stranger wrote.
The mom explained on Imgur that she didn’t know the stranger and had posted on the parenting group a few times while looking for advice.
‘I was a bit cautious of course, I stalked her online and made sure she wasn’t an ax murderer. I had her ship them to my work just in case,’ the mother wrote.
In exchange for her kind gesture, the stranger laid out only three conditions: she chose to remain anonymous, she asked the mother to let her know if she didn’t need or want the help so she could reach out to another parent, and she urged her to ‘pay it forward’ and ‘be kind to a random stranger someday’.
The mother said she was ‘conflicted’ because she’s ‘not good at accepting help’, yet she knew the gesture would make a significant difference for her and her child.
Help: The mother said she was ‘conflicted’ because she’s ‘not good at accepting help’, yet she knew the gesture would make a significant difference for her and her child
She eventually accepted the stranger’s offer, pledging to ‘pay this forward’.
‘I’m not worried,’ the stranger replied. ‘It’s not even an obligation, just if you have the chance, do so someday.’
The mother was thrilled when she received a package filled not only with her son’s school supplies but also a few extras, including a new pair of shoes, which she said is an ‘awesome’ gift because she’s ‘super thrifty’ and ‘hardly ever buy brand new things’.
‘He is gonna be super excited,’ the mom wrote.
During her conversation with the anonymous benefactor, the mother said she was ‘amazed’ that someone would do something so selfless.